Big Ben

Sunday 3 October 2010

Day 12

Today is a very lazy Sunday.  The clouds are out with a little drizzle here and there.  I was going to go to a couple of museums but woke with a wee bit of a hangover.  Let's just say I was completely knackered last night :)

Yesterday evening was Street Action's music event called Our House.  There were about five or six bands/solo artists who put on a small neighborhood concert to help raise money for an NGO called New Generation in Burundi.  The Government has given land to New Generation and we, Street Action, are helping to raise 25k pounds to build the first of four houses on the property.  That 25k will also sustain that house for the first year.  The intentions are to have four houses total for the street kids as well as a school, garden and hopefully a guest house for volunteers and such.  It's a big project but we're getting closer and closer to the goal.  Last night we raised about 800 pounds ($1265 US Dollars).  Not to mention the 10k pounds that have been raised when a group of people cycled from London to Brussells.  A great cause...if you'd like to learn more, watch a short video from the Director of New Generations (a former street child himself), or even donate some money, please visit http://www.streetaction.org. 

So anyways...yesterday day was spent preparing for the event with my host at the moment Dave de P.  We left at about 4:30 p.m. to set up the equipment and the bar.  I was supposed to be bar manager, but ended up being the bartender.  Which was fine by me, I got to meet a lot of people that way.  Now I decided that I should also help out with some money and ended up buying two bottles of wine.  Hee hee.  I totally forgot that I had only eaten soup and bread all day and well...I think you know where this is going.

The bands were amazing.  All local London musicians.  And I have to say that my new fave pop band, and I'm lucky to call them friends as well, is Lovers Electric.  I really enjoy when you meet people and get to know them first before even realizing that they are very talented artists on the rise.  All of the musicians were phenomenal and I plan on following them from here on out. 

I had a fantastic laugh when I was shown how much, I mean how little, a shot of alcohol is.  It's not even a full shot glass.  A double still isn't a full shot glass.  What are they thinking???  Needless to say...I had to show the WateringCanMedia boys (Paul, Nick and Steve) and Joe how to drink a real vodka cranberry.  I think I made them a little too strong for their likes.  It was quite funny.  The Brits may be able to drink like fish and get crazy knackered...but the Americans...we don't f**k around.  At least I don't.  Ha ha ha ha.

We ended the event at 11 p.m. and were probably back on the road by 11:45 p.m.  I feel terrible, because I was so drunk that I just grabbed the stuff I was carrying and went straight to my room and to bed.  I remember trying to type a few things to people and just couldn't do it.  I did have a pretty good laugh though when I woke up this morning with my laptop open and on sitting next to my feet.  Hee hee.  I must have gotten so bothered with trying to type that I just set it off to the side and laid down to sleep.  Whoopsie.

Henceforth the lazy day today.  My host had a chuckle when I saw him and I'm not sure if he knew how drunk I really was.  S'all good, I'm recovered now...only had a headache when I got up.  It's 4:18 p.m. now and I think I might jump in the shower and walk a few blocks to see what kind of food is up that way.  So not in the mood to do any cooking. 

Tomorrow should be a bit of a fun day of touring Muswill Hill.  It's a beautiful neighborhood and I can't wait to see what North London has to offer.  So until then...cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment