Big Ben

Friday 29 October 2010

Day 35

Brugge, ah Brugge. One of my most favorite visited places now. A medieval Belgium city that still retains its charm and beauty. One full day of walking around is really all you need…but for those wishing to take their time and relax, Brugge is the place to be.

My day started like all the others…slowly waking and getting ready to head out and about. There was no hot water in the hostel so I ended up washing the hair in my room’s sink. Man that was cold, brrrrrr. I decided to just walk around and take in the sights at first when I stumbled upon a canal tour. No hesitations there…I walked right up and paid my fee and soaked in the beauty around me as I waited for the boat to arrive. It was about a 30 min boat ride; just long enough. I wish I was one of those writers that could explain in great detail how beautiful everything is there. It’s so calming and peaceful…if one was ever stressed in Brugge I would seriously question why.

After the canal tour, I hopped off and went on my little walk about. I knew that I needed to end up in the main square so that I could get to the Belfry Tower and the ‘chips’ shop on the right hand side. As I started walking, there are little boutiques and shops everywhere. Street vendors, bicyclists and horse drawn buggies. Once I ended up in the main square, I was amazed at how many chocolate shops there are. I mean I know Belgium chocolate is supposed to be the finest in the world, but it seemed like every other shop was a chocolate shop. My head was literally spinning with all the options. This was a child’s biggest candy fantasy. I wasn’t ready to buy chocolate just yet, so I headed to get some ‘chips’ and eat them in front of the Belfry. Afterwards, I walked up to the ticket and gift shop for the Belfry and seriously contemplated walking to the top. After a good, long thought…I chose not to climb the Belfry. I know, I know…it was one of the things I really wanted to do however, with all of the walking and climbing that I have done…I just don’t think my knee could have handled it. Good thing I didn’t do it, because I later heard someone say that it was just okay. So now it was time to buy chocolates…and chocolates did I buy. I spent about $70 on chocolates alone. Most gifts of course (how dare you think I would buy that all for myself). Then…I walked back over to the Heilig-Bloedbasiliek, the Holy Blood Basilica, and went in for a look-see. What a beautiful church. The ceiling was of painted wood slats…like nothing I had seen before. I will have to find some pics of the interior and save them from online. My camera sometimes doesn’t like taking indoor pics so I didn’t even waste my time.

After my full day of walking around Brugge…I decided that it was time to head back to the hostel and chill out for a while before getting dinner and some beer. I ended up getting some pasta and four beers around 8 p.m. and was ready to settle in for the night and just stay online and whatnot. But around 11 p.m., when the hostel lounge shuts down, a group of us were not ready to say goodnight and headed over to the pub/bar on the corner. It was myself, two Canadians, five Aussies and a Kiwi. A good group of people. Finally after my sixth beer, I decided to head back with Scott, Beth and the two Canadians and head to bed. Tomorrow I head out to Amsterdam. I really wish I had stayed in Brugge a little while longer. I could have, and should have, passed up Amsterdam altogether and just stayed here, relaxed and wrote for my thesis. No worries…tomorrow takes me on another journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment