Big Ben

Monday 25 October 2010

Day 33


Today was a chill out day.  I didn’t get in until early this a.m. from being out and was up and out of the hotel by 11:30 a.m.  So needless to say, I didn’t get much sleep.  However, I got up and out of the hotel because the staff wanted to get in and clean the room.  Besides…it looked beautiful out with blue skies and I decided to take advantage of this and walk up to Sacré Coeur.  Being a short walk from the hotel, I also chose today to be the day for gift shopping.  I struck out yesterday for others, so I was determined to get all I needed today…good choice I must say.

I chose to walk up to the Sacré Coeur which is a grandiose church located at the top of a hill in Montmartre.  It’s different in its structure with rounded domes versus pointed triangular spires.  Being a Sunday…there were a good number of people out enjoying the beautiful view.  The walk up the hill wasn’t bad…it almost reminded me of walking up to Lone Mountain on the USF campus, but a little longer.  At each level, I stopped to enjoy the view and just take it all in.  I knew I had plenty of time to just casually make my way to the top.  There were some gray clouds in the sky, but the view was stunning.  Views in Paris are spectacular.  When it’s clear, you can see for miles and it can be breath taking.  I walked around the church grounds taking pictures from just about every angle.  Then I found that to the rear and left of the church (when facing it) there were a couple streets set up in a market style.  I was still weaving in and out of every tourist shop trying to find French dolls for my nieces.  Finally I found two…now auntie Katie won’t be headed to the dog house.  One thing I should learn is never promise your nieces gifts you aren’t sure you’re going to be able to get.  But I mean come on…where can you not find dolls?  Well, almost no Paris touristy trinket shops have dolls.  LOL.  Well, the ones I had found previously were porcelain, and the girls are not old enough to get those kinds of doll.  Sorry girls. 

So that was pretty much my Sunday.  It’s only 3:40 p.m. and my last full day in Paris.  I think that after about five weeks of traveling I’m kinda over it and ready to head back home.  I travel on to Bruges tomorrow and then to Amsterdam on Wednesday.  Saturday I head back to London for a night and Sunday I’m finally on a plane home only to drop the luggage and start moving my apartment from the 1st to the 3rd floor.  In addition to that…I also need to get a first draft of my thesis over to my advisor since I will only have 30 days before the final product is due.  This is another reason I am choosing to stay in this afternoon…to write up some lit reviews for some readings that I’ve previously read through.  Later, I will have a late dinner with my friend before saying avoir and merci for his time and generosity.  Tomorrow, I will have a few hours before I have to be at the train station to go from Paris to Bruges…so I’m going to quickly jump on the train early and head down to Cimetiere du Pere Lachaise to go and see Jim Morrison’s grave.

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment