Big Ben

Monday 25 October 2010

Day 32


Today I woke about the same time and was out by 11 a.m.  It started to rain today so I ended up having to buy my third umbrella of the trip because I was not going back to the hotel (my dad is probably shaking his head right now, not surprised at this).  LOL.  After, I decided that it was probably smart to get a bite to eat before hopping on the bus to see the Notre Dame and the Louvre.  I popped in to a local eatery and got a ham and mozzarella Panini.  It was good, but too much bread and I couldn’t finish all of it.  I hate wasting food, but I’m learning to just put it down when your tummy tells you so.  And today…I listened.  I waited for the bus only for about 10 mins and then we were on our way down to start my days journey at Notre Dame.

It was cold out today on top of the rain and I was more than chilly in my lounge pants and short sleeve shirt under my jacket.  Almost the whole time I was in London, the jacket was too much for me with all the walking I was doing.  Finally…I’m almost too cold.  Since today is a Saturday, the tourists are out and about and Notre Dame was a popular place despite the rain.  When it started to rain a little harder, I decided to enter the church for some shelter.  Wow!  Once again, an opulent place of worship did not disappoint.  It was absolutely beautiful inside and all of the stained glass really stood out. 

I took my time walking around the church, but opted not to climb higher up towards the top or wherever it is that you can climb to.  I figure that I did my climbing at St. Paul’s and still have the Belfrye in Bruges.  Once I was done, I made my way back towards the Louvre.  It was a short walk across and up the river before making it to the massive marvel known for King Louie XIV and historical works of art.  I entered through the rear courtyard and was amazed at how big that part of the palace was.  Exiting the rear area and into the main courtyard my breath was taken away.  Absolutely beautiful!  Granted the glass pyramids did take away from the beauty of the old structure, but added to it in its own way.  I myself would have preferred it not to be there but then again I’m a European history nerd.  Once again, I took my time walking through the main courtyard enjoying the magnificent views.  When I was done, I decided to walk around the neighborhood looking for shops where I could buy people gifts.  I didn’t find what I was looking for, so I started walking to find the bus stop that would take me back towards my hotel.

After a few blocks, I realized that The Opera was straight ahead and not very far from the hotel.  Besides…I needed to get another suitcase because I wouldn’t have enough room for all the stuff I’m bringing home with me and well, it’s not very comfortable traveling with a heavy duffle bag.  I’m such a wimp I know.  The Opera isn’t far from the Louvre and I remember Noah telling me I could probably find a cheep suitcase away from the Opera house.  So on a journey I went to find the cheapest luggage I could…and one that would hold up.  What do you know…he was right.  Just a block away from the Lafayette Galleries I found a nice sized suitcase for 33€.  It’s not bad and does the job perfectly.  I couldn’t have done better.  Now that I had found the luggage, I knew I wasn’t far from the hotel and started my final walk towards the hotel.  Finally after about 6 or 7 hours, I was back at the hotel and once again a wee tired from all the walking.  The knees were hurting and the foot was a little irritated.  Noah was even shocked when I told him how far I had walked…so needless to say I was rather proud of myself.  Now it’s time for a nap before heading out tonight.

Avoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment