Big Ben

Friday 8 October 2010

Days 15, 16 and 17

Again I've been bad and not blogging every day.  This week, from Wednesday until Friday, was more or less uneventful and revolved around work.

Wednesday, I worked from the flat on the database most of the day, taking a walk in the afternoon to get some exercise in.  I just started walking east through Hackney to get more views upon the borough in which I am currently living.  Hackney, as I believe I have stated before, is an up and coming neighborhood and reminds me a lot like the Lower Haight area of San Francisco.  Lots of poverty but nice houses interspersed here and there.  I've been told that East London is probably the most diverse city in the world.  Well, that's one of the things that I enjoy about it.  I love how integrated it is here...everyone lives side-by-side.  Not like in America.  Compared to here, I still feel like we live in a rather segregated society.  The whites live in their neighborhoods, the blacks theirs.  The Chinese and Afghanis also have their neighborhoods...but not East London.  It truly is a beautiful thing.

After my walk, I ended up getting a lamb something kind of sandwhich.  I'm not sure what 'type' of take-away place this was, I just noticed the kabob sign and went in.  The two guys working there were very funny and loved that I was from America.  The Turkish kid wasn't as chatty as the Bulgarian, but they were chatty enough for us to have a good conversation and laughs.  Such sweet people here in London. 

Thursday I found my way back to the office to work with Nick and Paul for the day.  I really do enjoy the office.  Even though it is set up for Watering Can Media (Nick's other business), Street Action is housed out of there as well.  These guys are great and I will be sad when I have to leave here and working with them.  Ben is the other guy in the office but hasn't been in much due to his wife being ill.

I felt super tired by the end of the day on Thursday and I couldn't figure out why...until I woke up yesterday, Friday, and realized that I was coming down with the cold that everyone in the house had gotten.  Rod and Vivi started getting sick on Tuesday and were in a full-blown cold by Tuesday night.  When I woke up on Friday I could totally feel the symptoms coming on.  However...I felt great otherwise so I stocked up on the o.j. and some cold stuff comparable to our Thera-flu.  After work I went to the Chemist and got some zinc and vitamin C tablets (like Airborne).  I was in bed fairly early last night...well early for me...only to awake at 4 a.m.

So here I sit, writing my blog for the last three days waiting for a tablet to dissolve in one mug and the Lemsip in the other.  I will drink both mugs and head back to sleep for a few hours.  I'm really glad that I'm not worse off with the flu on top of this making me stay in bed all day Saturday.  I have a big day ahead of me.  It's going to be nice out and I'm taking the journey down to Hampton Court Palace.  For any of you who are familiar with the Tudors...this is one of King Henry VIII's massive palaces along the river Thames.  I've very excited and will have tons of pictures I am sure.

So for those of you where it's only 8:30 p.m. I bid you goodnight and to sleep well.  More to come from me tomorrow.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment