Big Ben

Monday 25 October 2010

Day 31


Today I woke as usual around 9ish or so and took my time getting up and out.  I think I was out of the hotel at 11 a.m. and made my way up to catch the number 30 bus to the Trocodero.  It was a nice bus ride taking about 20 or so minutes to get to the end of the line.  Once I got off, I walked over to the museums in the Trocodero square that looked directly on to the Eiffel Tower.  It was cloudy, but visibility was for miles.  I decided to do the Eiffel Tower as the last item before heading back to the hotel to chill out before my personal night tour of the city by my friend Noah.  After admiring the view, I walked down to the Musee’ d’Art Moderne to see the Basquiat exhibit.  Oh my, what a beautiful exhibit.  His art was very interesting.  He was very childish in some of his presentations, while his use of color in most pieces took my breath away.  He’s one of those scattered artists where you wonder what was going on in his mind for him to interpret his art the way he did.  Absolutely stunning and I’m so glad that I did this exhibit above any others.

Once I was done at the Musee’ d’Art Moderne, I made my way over to the Eiffel Tower.  Now see, a few weeks back I had promised my friend Dean that I would walk up the first and maybe second level before taking the lift to the top.  My friend Noah advised me that I might want to reconsider since it really was a long climb up.  He wasn’t kidding.  The moment that I got close to the Tower, I quickly reconsidered and had no regret about breaking a promise.  For those of you who have been to the Tower…you’ll understand.  It’s MASSIVE.  There was no way I was going to attempt the climb.  Especially not after I barely made the Stone Gallery  at St. Paul’s Cathedral in London.  Eish!  The queues weren’t too bad to make your way up to the second level.  From there it was probably about a 30-45 min queue up to the top.  Today was such an amazing day and cleared to barely any clouds in the sky.  The views were amazing and did not disappoint…something I will never, ever forget.

Getting down to the ground took a little bit of time to do…the queues were long for that as well.  No worries, it was totally worth it.  Once on the ground, I made my way back towards where I began in the Trocodero but headed to a cemetery that I had spotted from atop the Tower.  I don’t know what it is, but my mother and I have a thing for churches and graveyards.  There is something so beautiful about old structures that just lures us in.  This graveyard did not disappoint and I got a good number of really cool pics to show my mother.

It was getting late and my knees and feet were telling me they were tired and needed a break, so I found my way back to the bus and headed back to the hotel.  I needed to rest before my friend took me out to see Paris at night.  OMG, is all I can say.  Paris at night is by far the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.  I mean all the grandiose structures lit up on a beautiful clear night with the moon shining above and almost full.  There are no words to describe it.  We got back to the hotel at about 11:30 p.m. and when Noah dropped me off, I headed to one of the local stores to get a bottle of wine.  I realized that I still hadn’t had any wine since arriving and that it was due time.  So I purchased a wonderful bottle of Bordeaux and enjoyed half of it.  Mmmmmm, so yummy.  I would drink all of it except I have another day of touristy stuff tomorrow that I can’t miss.

Bonne nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment