Big Ben

Sunday 10 October 2010

Day 18

Yesterday, Saturday, I was in full blown cold mode.  The headache, gum ache, runny nose and sneezing.  I had all the best intentions to not let this stupid thing get me down...but in the end I let it for the first part of my day.

I woke up somewhat miserable, but not so miserable that I couldn't get out of bed.  For some reason...I was craving chips (french fries) and was hell bent on getting some.  I knew of one place I could go, but decided to see if this pub around the corner was open.  So I threw my sweats on and set out for a little walk.  I was very much looking forward to this pub since they serve pub food and alcohol.  I wanted very much to get a hot whiskey/whisky with lemon and honey while I waited for my food.  Needless to say, I was quite bummed to see that they weren't open until 1:00 p.m. (it was only 11:00 a.m. when I got there).

So I scrapped that idea and kept walking towards this one street that has the amazing creperie.  Not feeling like eating a crepe, I stood on the corner to see what else was available.  In the way of chips...nothing!  So I was forced to resort to some small fast food chicken place to get some fries and a chicken sandwhich.  The fries were good, but the chicken sandwhich sucked big time.  Over cooked and just kind of nasty.  Why is it that American fast food is the best?  Or do you think that when foreigners come to visit us in America think that our fast food is crap?  Hmmmm, question to start asking.  LOL.  Anyways...I'm glad that I got the fried apple pie along with my meal because that was fantastic.  Just like those apple pies at McDonald's and such. 

Grabbing my food, I walked back to the flat, ate and crawled into bed.  I needed one more good rest of an hour or more before I knew I would get restless.  Sure enough, I woke up thinking "I can't let this whole day go to shit.  Get up and get moving and do something."  Not wanting to walk around Hackney again, I decided to get up, shower and hop on the trains to go to Buckingham Palace.  Novel idea.

I got on the overground at 4:30 p.m. and headed down to Central London.  The castle is at Green Park station with a wonderful walk through the park itself.  My favorite part of the park is that you can sit in deck chairs and enjoy the sun and whatever else is going on.  There were enough people out and about, but it wasn't extremely packed.  I got to the castle after a short walk and was amazed by how huge the estate was.  The gates to the park are locked, but absolutely gorgeous.  I did my touristy bit and then decided to walk some more.  Originally I wanted to walk down to Picadilly Circus to see the neon lights at dusk.  But then I saw this structure and chose to walk the other way.  As it turns out, the structure was the Wellington Arch.  It was a nice little jaunt and to the right of the monument was the entrance to Kensington Gardens and Hyde park...so I decided to walk some more.  To the left was Harrod's mall.  I've been told I should go in there, but I was dressed pretty scrappy yesterday and decided not to.  So I walked over to the park and walked around there a bit.  As it started getting darker, I thought it would be a good time to get up to Picadilly Circus.  So I hopped on the underground and stopped at Picadilly Circus.

Now Picadilly Circus is where all of the stage shows are, and on a Saturday night...the streets are pretty busy with tourists and locals alike.  A little too much for my taste, but I thought that it would be perfect to see the lights at dusk.  Dusk is a perfect time to be in the square.  It was absolutely beautiful just as I had anticipated.  I couldn't have asked for a better time to get there.  Too many people though so I decided to find my way back to Hackney.  But not before I spotted Cinnabons and got me a classic cinnamon roll.  I was still feeling under the weather and thought that now would be a perfect time to head home.

After getting home, I did some laundry and then crawled into bed.  Not the most exciting Saturday night, but at least I got out and did something and went walking for a few hours.  The only problem was that once I got home my back was really irritated and uncomfortable.  Not sure why...I didn't do anything that I know of to tweek it.  Maybe walking up and down stairs is what did it???

Anyways...that was it for my Saturday.  Gonna take it easy the first part of Sunday before meeting up with an old friend for some afternoon fun.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment